Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What's my motivation?

Our church started a new sermon series a few weeks ago in Zechariah. For me, it's been hard to read on my own, lots of visions, dreams...etc. However, like in our own lives it has a theme of God's people not listening (shocking right?!) and turning from Him.

Zechariah 7:13 " 'When I called, they did not listen; so when they called, I would not listen', says the Lord Almighty."

The scripture also has a bigger theme of God's promise for a Messiah!

Zechariah 9:9 "Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey."

Our church hasn't gotten to this point of the book yet, we actually left off in kind of a depressing part of the book. Where God basically calls out His people because they were worshiping for the wrong reasons. They were doing all things for themselves not for God
This comment made me slouch in my seat a little...

What is my motive when I worship?! Not only that but do I serve and worship with grumbling?!
Would God call me out like He did with His people?

I've been encouraged to take a step back and check my heart attitude. Especially this time of year. It's crazy busy all the time and we are celebrating God sending His Son! Hello?! Why am I stressing about what I need to get for Christmas presents? 

Not only am I encouraged to reflect on my heart attitude about serving and worshiping God but I'm also striving to look at how I serve my family and friends. It's not that I need to get something out of it but how I can be there for them. It's not about me (except for tomorrow for my birthday :) )

I'm encouraged to wake everyday and check myself with "What's my motivation?!"
Because in the end Christ is coming back and peace and truth will rule!

Zechariah 13:9 "This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people,' and they will say, 'The LORD is our God.'"





1 comment: